Date(s) - April 8 2021
9:00am - 10:15am
This event will take place online.
East West Rail (EWR) is creating a new direct connection between Oxford and Cambridge, and beyond. Serving communities across the area, it will bring faster journey times and lower transport costs as well as easing pressure on local roads. It is ambitious project that proposes bringing back into use a section of railway that was closed to passengers in the 1960s, refurbishing existing railway lines between Bletchley and Bedford, and building brand new railway infrastructure between Bedford and Cambridge.
The new rail connections will provide opportunities for people right across the area by:
- Making it cheaper, easier and quicker to get around in the future – connecting people to their jobs, homes and families, as well as businesses to their employees, suppliers and customers
- Supporting new housing so people can afford to live and work in the area, and businesses can afford to create more jobs and increase productivity.
- Spreading prosperity across the UK – creating growth for towns and cities outside of London. The National Infrastructure Commission estimated that creating these transport links and supporting the area between Oxford and Cambridge was worth nearly £80bn extra each year for the British economy
The recent £760 investment announcement also sees EWR Co confirm a phased approach to delivering the East West Rail project, which will reduce disruption for local communities along the route. The project will now be delivered in three “Connection Stages”, relating directly to a full journey – not just a piece of track:
- Connection Stage One: Oxford to Bletchley and Milton Keynes
- Connection Stage Two: Oxford to Bedford
- Connection Stage Three: Oxford to Cambridge
We are delighted that Simon Blanchflower , CEO of EWR Co has agreed to provide an update for RFM members on the challenges, opportunities and delivery of this exciting project.
This event is for Rail Forum Midlands members only.
To secure your place(s) please use the booking form below. Bookings will close on 6th April at 5pm and joining information will be forwarded on 7th.
Bookings are closed for this event.