Date(s) - February 8 2024
12:00pm - 2:00pm
This event will take place online.
Our 3rd HR Leaders Group is gearing up to be a little different as it falls into Apprenticeship Week and we will be exploring how members can support future talent development together as well as hearing from our Event Partner Shoosmiths on a key query: Right to Work.
Legal Update: Right to Work
We are thrilled to host Rory Stone from Shoosmiths who will be exploring some of the issues around Right to Work checks following queries raised at a previous HR Leaders Group meeting.
If you have any specific questions about this topic, please include them in the Comments field on booking, or email Events@railforum.uk
Deepening Apprenticeship Experience
The industry continues to demand new skills against a backdrop of aging workforce and it has long been known that the apprenticeship route is well placed to support this. By necessity, apprenticeships focus on the company activities with which they are based but the industry needs well-rounded individuals and this session has been designed to give Rail Forum members the opportunity to hear from three industry speakers about activity and plans to support the provision (and benefit from) a holistic approach.
We are delighted to introduce our speakers:
- Paul Wilkinson, Engineering Apprenticeship Manager, Northern & Jamie Wood, 3rd Year Apprentice, Northern, looking at how they are working with CAF Rail to provide both operational and rolling stock manufacture experiences
- Sonia Howard, Graduate & Higher Apprenticeship Manager, Routh Services, Network Rail, to outline their apprenticeship approach and their plans for extending apprenticeship experiences to supply chain
- Katie Harris, Strategic Organisational Lead – Early Talent, Transport for Wales, to also to outline their apprenticeship approach and plans for working with supply chain#
- *Additional speaker * Andrew Bilous, Head of Client Engagement, NSAR
As with previous events, the HR Leaders Group meeting will provide ample opportunity to engage with speakers and in smaller breakout groups to look at how this approach can add value to your own apprentices, barriers and concerns, support required and who you could work with.
About the HR Leaders Group
This initiative is designed to provide valuable peer-to-peer support, updates and discussion opportunities for HR professionals within the Rail Forum membership.
We are delighted that this online event will be chaired by Daniel Appleby, HR Director for Loram UK and vice-chaired by Iain Taylor, Head of HR for CAF Rail UK.
Dan Appleby said: “The topic of our next HR Leaders Group is of great interest to Loram – how can we work together to give our apprentices broader experiences across the rail sector? With skills shortage approaching a cliff edge over the coming decade, this is a great step to developing an informed and dynamic workforce that our business needs.”
We are also thrilled to have Rory Stone, Employment Lawyer from our event partner Shoosmiths to follow up on a previous discussion group topic about Right to Work.
Eligibility and who should attend?
This is a Rail Forum members only event, taking place online.
We encourage the following to attend:
- HR Directors / Managers of member companies and those involved directly in Apprenticeship Management
- Senior Management of member companies interested in collaborating with apprenticeship activity within the supply chain
The event will run as a working lunch, from 12 – 14:00 via Zoom
Bookings will close on 5th February at midday, with joining instructions and delegate list issued shortly thereafter.